Friday-Saturday, April 7-8, 2017
Bob Jones University, Greenville, SC
Featured Guest Artist - Mark Sparks
Friday night recital: $5 for SCFS members, Bob Jones University faculty/staff/students - FREE
Saturday General Admission: $10 plus current SCFS membership
Alexander Technique Workshop: FREE for SCFS members, $5 general public
- Friday, April 7
- 7:00pm Mark Sparks in Recital, Stratton Recital Hall
- Saturday, April 8
- 8 a.m. to noon - Registration, Gustafson Fine Arts Center Lobby
- 8:30 to 9 a.m. - Warm up fun! Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 224
- 9:00 a.m. - Exhibits, Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 119
- 9 to 10:15 a.m. - Alexander Technique workshop with Petrea Warneck, War Memorial Chapel
- 9 to 10:20 a.m. - High School Flute Choir Rehearsal, Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 224
- 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. - Visit the Exhibits
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Mark Sparks Masterclass, War Memorial Chapel
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. - Lunch
- 12:30 to 2 p.m. - Visit the Exhibits
- 2 to 3:30 p.m. - Junior Artist / Senior Artist competition finals (back-to-back), Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 227
- 2 to 4:15 p.m. - Collegiate Artist / Young Artist competition finals (back-to-back), Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 224
- 3 to 3:50 p.m. - "Before the French Revolution: The Flute in America before Barrere"
Amanda Barrett and Dr. Esther Waite, Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 120
- 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. - High School Flute Choir dress rehearsal, Gustafson Fine Arts Center, Room 227
- 4:30 p.m. - Exhibits close
- 4:30 p.m. - Closing Recital, Stratton Hall
Former Competition winners, High School Flute Choir, SC Flutists
Click Here for the High School Flute Choir Recommendation Form
Flutist MARK SPARKS is a dynamic orchestral artist, soloist, chamber musician, and teacher who has performed in many of the world's most prestigious venues. He is widely recognized for his colorful tone, spirited phrasing, and charismatic style (described by the Denver Post as "mesmerizing").
Appointed Principal Flutist of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra by the late Hans Vonk in 2000, he has appeared as soloist with the St. Louis Symphony numerous times, most recently in February 2015, October 2014, and on the Orchestra's 2013 California Tour in performances of Christopher Rouse's Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, with STL Symphony, Music Director David Robertson conducting. He has appeared as guest Principal flutist with numerous ensembles including the New York Philharmonic, the Chicago, Dallas, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Bergen Norway Symphony Orchestras, and was a member of the Baltimore, San Antonio, Memphis, Canton Ohio, and Caracas Venezuela Symphony Orchestras before his appointment to the STL Symphony. Concerto appearances also include the Aspen Philharmonia, Taiwan National, and Singapore Symphony Orchestras.
Sparks can be heard as solo recording artist on the Summit and AAM labels, with various orchestras on the Sony, Telarc, Nonesuch, and Decca labels, and has recently released his third solo recording, "French Album" with pianist Peter Henderson.
Born in the U.S. in 1960, Mr. Sparks graduated with honors from the Oberlin Conservatory as a student of Robert Willoughby. He is a member of Pi Kappa Lambda Society, and the National Flute Association, and ASCAP. Mr. Sparks also trained at the Tanglewood Music Festival, Aspen, Sarasota, and the National Repertory Orchestra.
Mark Sparks' residency is sponsored in part by Brannen Flutes.
Bob Jones University Campus map - CLICK HERE
Ask for the special rate offered to guests of BJU.
Clarion Inn & Suites
50 Orchard Park Dr.
3 miles from campus
70 Orchard Park Dr.
3 miles from campus
Drury Inn & Suites
I-85 & Woodruff Rd.
Standard Queen $100
Deluxe King $105
2-room Suite $125
7 miles from campus