Friday-Saturday, April 8-9, 2016
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Guest artist: Jill Felber
Friday, April 8, 8:00pm
Johnson Hall (Darla Moore building), USC
Jill Felber, Flute
Dianne Frazer, Piano
Recital Admission: $25 adults, $15 students (cash or check only)
JILL FELBER has been hailed for her "beautifully finished performances" by The Detroit News and has been praised by Musical America for her "handsome performance." The British journal PAN writes, "Felber was stunning..not only refined but also full of fun."
"The incredible flutist...the dazzling flutist...the radiant flutist Jill Felber" (Santa Barbara Independent), who is known to excite audiences everywhere in concerts and recitals, "played with flair" (Los Angeles Times).
"The outstanding American flutist Jill Felber" (Gazeta Rybnicka, Poland) is acclaimed worldwide for her "consummate musicianship" (Fanfare).
Ms. Felber has performed solo recitals, chamber music, and concertos on four continents and has held residencies in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Mexico, France, Switzerland, Great Britain, Italy, Canada and the United States. Also a tireless promoter of new music, Ms. Felber has inspired many composers to write solo and chamber works for her and for her flute duo ZAWA!, and is currently engaged in several commissioning projects. She has premiered over three hundred works for the flute and has released world premiere recordings for Centaur Records, CRI, Neuma Records, and ZAWA! MUSIC.
In demand as a guest clinician because of her extraordinary motivational teaching style, Ms. Felber is currently Professor of Flute at UC Santa Barbara. Holding degrees from University of Michigan and Bowling Green State University, Ms. Felber has taught on the faculties of Ohio University, Capital University, and Wright State University. Her teachers include Keith Bryan, Judith Bentley, Samuel Baron, and James Galway.
Dianne Frazer is recognized globally as a premiere collaborative pianist. Known for her wit and style on and off stage, she "exudes an energy and an excitement that is both irresistible and endearing". She has performed with a "who's who" of international artists, and has performed in Weill Recital Hall in Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, and Merkin Hall. According to Branford Marsalis, "Dianne is one bad-ass pianist!!"
Dianne is on the faculty at Louisiana State University, is pianist for the National Flute Association, International Society of Bassists, World Bass Festival in Poland, the MTNA Southern Division, and has performed at the Oberstdorf Music Festival in Germany, ISI Florence in Italy, Bradetich International Double Bass Competition, International Hornists Society, International Trumpet Guild, North American Saxophone Alliance, and the International Clarinet Association conventions. Dianne holds two performance degrees, was a two-time Fischoff finalist, and was an adjudicator for the prestigious Dranoff International Two Piano Competition.
Event Schedule, Saturday, April 9
Admission: $10 with current membership (admission fee is waived for parents accompanying students)
Please bring a folding music stand!
- 8:00 AM -- Registration (School of Music lobby) & Exhibit Hall (Room 016) open
- 9:00-10:15 AM -- Jill Felber Seminar (Johnson Hall) -- "Extreme Makeover: Flute Edition"
An invigorating and FUN workout for all levels that explores exercises to develop your flute tone (resonance, projection, focus, clarity, and tone coloration) and to improve facility and flexibility throughout the entire range of the flute. All levels can participate. Please bring Taffanel-Gaubert 17 Daily Exercises to the seminar.
- 10:15-10:45 AM -- VISIT EXHIBITS (Room 016)
- 10:45 AM - 12:30 PM -- Jill Felber Master Class (Johnson Hall): featuring winners of master class competition
- 12:30-2:00 PM -- LUNCH
- 2:00-2:45 PM -- VISIT EXHIBITS (Room 016)
- 2:00-3:30 PM -- Junior Artist / Senior Artist competition finals (back-to-back in Room 201)
- 2:00-4:15 PM -- Collegiate Artist / Young Artist competition finals (back-to-back in Room 006)
- 2:45-3:30 PM -- Honors High School Flute Choir rehearsal (Room 210)
- 3:40-4:25 PM -- Collegiate Flute Choir rehearsal (Room 210)
- 3:00-3:45 PM -- Pedagogy Workshop with Esther Waite and Julie Diamond (Room 232) - Helpful resources and ideas for teachers, adult amateurs, and parents of flute students. Bring your questions!
- 4:30 PM -- Exhibits close
- 4:45 PM -- Elections, Raffle, South Carolina Flutists Recital (Johnson Hall)
University of South Carolina visitor info